This event has now taken place but you can watch the video recording of it through our Youtube Channel, get to it by clicking the button below
WhenWednesday 13th October from 6PM to 8PM Singapore time/6PM to 8PM Hong Kong time/3:30PM to 5:30PM India Standard time
WhereOnline symposium via Zoom.
FormatThere'll be a great line-up of speakers plus ample scope for discussion and debate.
Why you should attend
The reputational integrity of the finance sector has been very badly damaged in recent decades, with one scandal after another including of course the Global Financial Crisis itself.
As a consequence, the Transparency Task Force is initiating and facilitating a global conversation about what needs to be done to address the real underlying causes of the malpractice, malfeasance, misconduct and mis-selling that has plagued the finance sector for far too long, causing extensive consumer detriment and a collapse in trust and confidence.
If you believe there is scope for Asia’s finance sectors to serve society better, this is definitely an event for you, because we’ll be working hard to galvanise support for the positive, progressive and purposeful finance reform that is so desperately needed.
We know there are many great ideas that can help to drive the transformational change that’s needed; and we want to shine a big bright light on those ideas and the people that can bring them to life.
We’ll be tackling many important questions head-on, such as:
- What are the underlying forces that continue to drive poor market conduct?
- Are Asia’s financial regulators using their powers effectively?
- How much of an issue is regulatory capture in Asia?
- Are class actions having to fill the void created by ineffective regulatory enforcement?
- Are vested interests still getting in the way of consumers getting good outcomes?
- Is obfuscation and opacity standing in the way of transparency?
- Are the fiduciary standard and best interest rules working as intended?
- Has the Friedmanite idea of “profit maximisation” spoiled the sector’s culture?
- Is the Business Round Table thinking on “multi-stakeholder” starting to have an influence?
- Is the regulatory framework in Asia working as it should? – if not, what can be done?
Given the obvious importance of the finance sector to Asia, discussing and debating what can be done to get it to perform in a manner that serves society properly is always a hot topic; please be sure to book your complimentary place and be part of the conversation.
Here's the programme and timings so far...
Welcome to the symposium, introductions and initial exploration of the main issues; by
Founder, Transparency Task Force; Governor, Pensions Policy Institute; Chair, Secretariat Committee, APPG on Pension Scams; Chair, Secretariat Committee, APPG on Personal Banking and Fairer Financial Services; Chair of the Violation Tracker UK Advisory Board
Presentation #1, for 15 minutes + 5 minutes Q&A/Discussion by
CEO, Labuan IBFC
Presentation #2, for 15 minutes + 5 minutes Q&A/Discussion by
Adjunct Associate Professor
Global Crypto Leader, Asia FinTech Leader, Partner PwC
The “Just a minute”-round
Inspired by the BBC Radio 4 programme, we have asked a selection of our attendees to spend just a minute sharing their thoughts on what has been covered during the symposium. But unlike the Radio 4 programme our speakers won’t be penalised for hesitation, repetition or deviation!
– Speakers to be added –
General discussion and debate, 45 minutes
Final conclusions; and suggested next steps and close to the formal proceedings.
*The programme will continuously evolve so is subject to change